September is here. Children in Prague are back to school, the temperature is more pleasant, slowly the trees start to change colours, and according to our health minister, Prague won’t stop.
Always important to check the COVID-19 last updates, and you can do so on the official website which is updated daily:
Then, considering you have your covid pass or negative test in your pocket, be sure you can have a great time in Prague. Yes, the city is switched on again. And what is there for you? We researched a few relevant outdoor events in September so you can plan your trip to Prague.
Firstly, what is the weather like in September:
With temperatures averaging 19 C (66 F) during the day and night lows around 9 C (48 F), and 12 hours of day light, September is a great month to explore Prague. This year has been a little wetter than normal, but nothing to compromise outdoor adventures.
So pack sneakers and comfortable clothing because your day should be filled with walking tours in the town and why not, visiting one or two castles nearby.
Best outdoor activities:
- Walk in a park.
Prague has many parks and green areas. Here is a little list of the most popular ones:
* Petřín Hill – A tourists favourite, it is a compulsory walk when visiting Prague. Stunning views to the city and attractions on the top of the hill such as the Observatory to gaze the stars, the Mirror Labyrinth or climbing the stairs of the Petřin Tower are all great experiences.
* Letna Park – This amazing park filled with children‘s playground, sports courts, beer gardens, Rollerblade/bike tracks, a skate park next to Metronome and great views of the Vltava River and Prague. Loved by both tourists and locals.
* Grebovka – A loved park by locals, this former private estate has great green areas and a beautiful structure that represents the deep sea where you can walk „inside corals“. The park also has an amazing vineyard where you can get the local wine directly.
* Riegrovy Sady – Another local’s favorite, this huge park is near the main train station, great for exercise, a nice beer garden and a fabulous sunset by the hill with views to the castle.
- Walk from the Old Town Square to the Prague Castle.
This is mandatory. Walking the narrow streets of the Old Town visiting and watching the Astrological Clock full hour Saint dance, crossing the Charles Bridge, through Mala Strana’s XII century cobblestone streets, up to the castle through the gardens‘ way: Waldstein Gardens below the castle, Gardens on the Ramparts, ending at the Rajská zahrada, or Paradise Gardens.
Once in the castle grounds, there is so much to see. But you probably know it all. If not, we wrote this article (pre-covid) that it is still pretty accurate, have a look to plan your day.
- Visit the Karlštejn Castle
The Karlštejn castle is an extremely well-conserved building constructed by Charles IV (yes, the king himself). Sitting on the top of a hill only 25 km from Prague, it is a great little escape to see what not everyone sees.
Karlštejn is a small village, however, on the other side of the river Berun, there is a little Zoo Park and a beautiful hotel and restaurant by the river called Romantic Hotel Mlyn Karlštejn for a more romantic meal.
Now, what is on in September 2021 in Prague:
Prague is already holding mass events, and Yo-Yo Ma: The Bach Project, tops them all.
Yo-Yo Ma has 20 Grammy awards to his name and has played to many presidents around the world, including Obama and Vaclav Havel.
For this concert, a stage will be built on the water of Vltava River with the Prague Castle at the background. A unique event for a unique artist.
What: Yo-Yo Ma: The Bach Project
Kind: Classic Music
Where: Slovanský ostrov, Prague 1
For the young souls.
Liquicity 2021 is a traditional festival at the enormous Holešovice Exhibition Grounds.
What: Liquicity 2021
Kind: Electronic Music
Where: Holešovice Exhibition Grounds
LINE UP: Fox Stevenson – Maduk – Technimatic – NCT – Lexurus – Polygon – Telomic – LIXX – Mota – Ben Verse
Mystic Sk8 Cup 2021 – World Cup Skateboarding
After becoming an Olympic Sport, skateboarding is gaining popularity around all ages. The beautifully crafted skate park of Prague will hold the World Cup of Skateboarding with 30,000 USD prize money. The event includes a music festival with 8 performances from USA, Czech Republic and Slovakia.
What: Mystic Sk8 Cup 2021
Where: Mystic Skatepark Stvanice (Ostrov Štvanice 944, Praha 7)
When: 03/09/2021 – 05/09/2021
- For the taste:
Food & Drinks are never in shortage in Prague. Here is a list of events covering the F&B lovers.
Holešovice Exhibition Grounds
3/9 – 5/9/2021
* Street Food na Náplavce
* Vinohradské vinobraní 2021 (Wine Festival)
Jiřího z Poděbrad Square
10/9 – 11/9/2021
* Rumfest 2021
* Vinobraní na Grébovce 2021
17/9 – 18/9/2021
* Festival Evolution 2021 (Eco + Vegan)
Holešovice Exhibition Grounds
17/9 – 19/9/2021
As you can see, there is no shortage of events happening. Of course you can always spend your time in museums, galleries, and restaurants, but enjoying the outdoor weather of September is definitely the local’s favorite activity.
See you soon.